Clos de Tart
Domaine Clos de Tart is one of Burgundy’s unicorns. It is a monopole, meaning that the domaine owns the entire 18.6-acre Grand Cru Clos de Tart vineyard. It is one of only six grand cru monopoles in Burgundy. The estate was founded in 1141 by the Tart Abbey Bernardine nuns, a Cistercian order, and after the French Revolution it was acquired in 1791 by the Marey-Monge family. In 1932 the Mommessin family of Maconnais – long-time negociants -- purchased the estate. Though the domaine’s wines suffered a drop in prestige during the mid-20th century, in recent decades it has once again become known for its high quality. Legendary winemaker Sylvain Pitiot, who ran the estate for 20 years until his retirement in late 2014, is credited with much of the estate’s revival. Jacques Devauges is current winemaker. Burgundy authority Clive Coates has called Clos de Tart “today Clos de Tart has few peers, even among the great wines of Vosne and Gevrey….This is a first class estate producing one of the very best of Burgundy’s Grand Cru wines.” The estate also produces a Premier Cru.